Searles School Site Council By-Laws
Article 1 Name
The name of the group shall be the Searles School Site Council, hereafter referred to as the SSSC.
ARTICLE II OBJECTIVES
The objective of the SSSC shall be to gather information on the educational needs of the students, school representatives and parents; to develop, monitor and evaluate a School Site Plan, to see that those needs are reflected in comprehensive and cohesive educational programs and curricula; and to effect other changes and programs which will improve the general education of the children of Searles School.
ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP
- The SSSC shall consist of not fewer than six (6). Fifty percent (50%) plus one (1) of voting membership shall constitute a quorum. A special quorum shall require that at least 33% of those present shall be administration, teacher, staff members and at least 33% of those present shall be parents/guardians. The SSSC voting membership shall be composed of:
- The Searles School Principal;
- The representatives who are teachers at Searles School;
- Other staff representatives who are on the staff at Searles School, preferably a Classified staff member;
- And parents/guardians of children attending Searles School
- The SSSC voting membership shall be constituted to ensure parity between school administration, teachers, staff members and parent/guardian members. The combined teacher and staff membership shall be fifty percent (50%) of the total voting membership, and the parent membership shall be 50% of the total voting membership.
- The SSSC teacher and staff membership shall be elected by their respective peer groups by a method determined by the principal.
- The teacher membership shall elect or appoint, as determined by the principal, at least one, but no more than two, teacher alternates to the SSSC.
- The staff membership shall elect or appoint, as determined by the principal, at least one, but no more than two, staff alternates to the SSSC.
- After the responsibilities and membership of the SSSC are explained, the SSSC parent/guardian membership will be solicited at the beginning of the school year via a written or oral invitation to all parents/guardians of children attending Searles School.
- One week prior to Back to School Night a summary of each candidate’s qualifications, as written by the candidate, will be sent home with a ballot. There will be one ballot for each child attending Searles School. The ballot must be returned within eight days to the school. The number of parent/guardian candidates (equivalent to the number of parent/ guardian member vacancies for the upcoming year as determined by the current SSSC) who receive the most votes will be declared elected. The unelected candidates shall be ranked in order by the number of votes received, the first being the failed candidate with the highest number of votes received, the second alternate being the failed candidate with the second highest number of votes received, and so on.
- Parent/guardian SSSC members shall be elected for a two-year term. If a member is unable to complete his/her term, then the parent/guardian members shall fill the vacancy by a vote at an SSSC meeting until the next yearly election. They may use the list of unelected candidates to help select members.
ARTICLE IV VOTING PRIVILEGES
- Any member who has not attended two consecutive regular meetings without extenuating circumstances, as determined by a majority vote of the SSSC shall lose his/her voting privilege and his/her seat on the SSSC.
- Any members who have lost their voting privilege or who have resigned from the SSSC shall be replaced.
ARTICLE V OFFICERS
- SSSC officers shall be elected by and from the SSSC voting membership. Except for the conditions stated in Secion 2 below, the principal or assistant principal may not sit as SSSC chairperson.
- In the temporary absences or disability of the SSSC chairperson, the principal or his/her designee shall assume the duties of the SSSC chairperson.
- With the assistance of the principal and/or assistant principal, the SSSC chairperson shall plan the agenda for regular and special SSSC meetings. The SSSC chairperson shall preside over and maintain order at all SSSC meetings.
- The SSSC secretary shall keep and distribute in a timely manner the minutes of all meetings.
- A SSSC officer may be recalled for cause by a two-thirds vote of the SSSC voting membership provided that a special quorum is present.
ARTICLE VI MEETINGS
- Regular SSSC meetings shall be held once a month during the school year at Searles School. Another designated location may be selected if it is approved by a vote of the SSSC. The dates and time will be determined at the first meeting of the newly elected SSSC. This schedule may be altered by the SSSC to accommodate schedule conflicts as necessary. The dates and times of the SSSC meetings will be published and distributed to parents/guardians of children attending Searles School and elected staff representatives at least four days prior to the meeting.
- Roll will be taken with a sign-in with verification by the SSSC secretary.
- Special SSSC meetings may be held as needed to carry out the directives of the SSSC.
- Committees may be formed as needed to carry out the directives of the SSSC.
- The SSSC shall elect members to represent the SSSC at SCPC meetings, Searles Parent Club meeting, and district board meetings.
- Agendas and background information shall be sent to members at least four days before the SSSC meeting.
- All meetings shall be open to the public. All SSSC alternates, interested parents/guardians of children attending Searles School, teachers and staff personnel should been couraged to attend SSSC meetings as long as their attendance does not interfere with the conduct of the SSSC proceedings. These attendees should be reminded that they do not have voting privileges on the SSSC but they do have a voice through their respective elected representatives.
ARTICLE VII AMENDMENTS
These by-law may be amended at any SSSC regular or special meeting by a two-thirds vote of the SSSC voting membership provided that a special quorum is present.